[lbo-talk] Modern American radicall fiction (& poetry) (Was Re: Brit lit goes to hell)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 7 23:12:36 PDT 2007

Gibson's lived in Canada for 40 years, I am not sure he counts as "American," although he is still technically a US citizen, according to Wickipedia. I think Toni Morrison is vastly overrated, anyway. Alice Walker, much better, is radical. Thomas Pynchon is far from dead yet. Grace Paley is still with us. Marge Piercey's still writing good stuff. Oh, there are lots and lots of folks writing radical fiction (and poetry). Or radicals writing fiction and poetry, not quite the same thing. FWIW I've never been able to get all the way through a book of Walter Mosley's. Alan Wald's books, Exiles from a Future Time: The Forging of the Mid-Twentieth-Century Literary Left and Trinity of Passion: The Literary Left and the Antifascist Crusade are wonderful studies of early-midcentury American radical fiction.