[lbo-talk] Max Horkheimer on Theism and Atheism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jul 8 09:59:38 PDT 2007

On Jul 8, 2007, at 12:43 PM, Robert Wrubel wrote:

> I dont get it, Doug. I was just thinking how well
> that quote fits certain contemporaries, like
> Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris.

What atheists have power in the U.S.? Pete Stark is the only self- proclaimed athetist member of Congress. The president is an apocalyptic Christian nut. He was sworn into office on a bible. Our money declares our trust in god. And fewer Americans would vote for an atheist for president than a queer:

<http://www.galluppoll.com/content/?ci=26611>

The Feb. 9-11, 2007, poll asked Americans whether they would vote for "a generally well-qualified" presidential candidate nominated by their party with each of the following characteristics: Jewish, Catholic, Mormon, an atheist, a woman, black, Hispanic, homosexual, 72 years of age, and someone married for the third time.

Between now and the 2008 political conventions, there will be discussion about the qualifications of presidential candidates -- their education, age, religion, race, and so on. If your party nominated a generally well-qualified person for president who happened to be ..., would you vote for that person?

yes no

Catholic 95 4 Black 94 5 Jewish 92 7 A woman 88 11 Hispanic 87 12 Mormon 72 24 Married for the third time 67 30 [i.e., Rudy G] 72 years of age 57 42 [i.e., McCain] A homosexual 55 43 An atheist 45 53