[lbo-talk] Modern American radicall fiction

Jim Straub rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 14:12:42 PDT 2007

Agreed. The only american novel of this century that can really stand up to Beloved is, in my opinion, Blood Meridian. I don't put any Pynchon book against it because while I think he's the overall better novelist, his central work--- Gravity's Rainbow--- is genuinely fairly impenetrable, and will get more so as the sixties fade from view.

But I saw Toni Morrison speak, and let me say, her comments on political subjects were... the opposite of inspiring. Huge dissapointment. Ah well. I love that she did Oprah so much, though.