[lbo-talk] great moments in the history of liberalism

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sun Jul 8 14:20:45 PDT 2007

"andie" wrote:

>...My point is not invidious comparison, bad communsim
>against good liberalism. It's just Mill's point: the
>reference point for the dark days of 1947 in the US is
>something like the dark days of the Stalin Purges...

Like a true liberal, "andie" presents Stalin's pogrom against the bolsheviks as "bad communism"--instead of what it was, the definitive triumph of neo-Tsarist counterrevolution; and Truman's loyalty-security program as "bad liberalism"--instead of what it was, the beginning of domestic mobilization, in the name of liberalism, for all-out militarism in furtherance of the Wilsonian-Rooseveltian design of "democratic" US imperialist domination over the entire world.

Shane Mage

"One can never agree, in any kind of war, with events that take the lives of innocent civilians. Nobody could justify the attacks of the German Air Force on British cities during World War II, nor the thousands of bombers that systematically destroyed German cities in the decisive moments of the war, nor the two atomic bombs which the United States dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in an act of pure terrorism against old people, women and children." (Fidel Castro)