[lbo-talk] 300 Pounds of Joy (Was Re: 4 July - Help me Think)

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 9 10:39:48 PDT 2007

<http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-fg-heavy9jul09,1,6240089.story?coll=la-news-a_section>http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-fg-heavy9jul09,1,6240089.story?coll=la-news-a_section

Fattening menus for troops in Iraq

Dietitians note that fried food and desserts dominate the selection at dining facilities, putting U.S. forces at risk of weight gain. By Molly Hennessy-Fiske Times Staff Writer

July 9, 2007

BAGHDAD ­ When Spc. Matthew Curll left basic training for Iraq nearly a year ago, he traded a bland diet of MREs for burgers, pie and Fudgsicles.

"You go from a lot of MREs and crappy stuff at the mess hall to prime rib on Sundays," said Curll, 21, of Lancaster, Mass., over a dinner of baked chicken followed by ice cream in Baghdad's fortified Green Zone.

"I wasn't expecting it at all," added Spc. Joe Reen, 23, of Norwood, Mass., finishing a turkey wrap and green salad. "You wanted to try everything."

The two indulged at first, but said they learned to resist most of the fried food and extra desserts that dominate the menu at U.S. dining facilities in Iraq. Others are not so careful, they said, including a few officers ahead of them in the chow line.

"There were three colonels in front of me who got double scoops and extra toppings," Reen said.

The Army has loaded the menu at the 70 chow halls, run by contractor KBR, with a buffet of fattening fare, from cheese steaks to tacos and Rocky Road ice cream. Many soldiers gain more than 15 pounds on a deployment, military dietitians say. They are also seeing soldiers return from Iraq with higher cholesterol, mostly due to their eating habits.

[.....]