[lbo-talk] negative and positive atheism (was Re: Max Horkheimer onTheism and Atheism)

Mr. WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 11:17:31 PDT 2007

On 7/9/07, Carl Remick <carlremick at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I believe people of faith have the right to be as simpleminded as they wish
> in their own homes and places of worship. But when their malign fantasies
> have a toxic effect on public policy itself, especially international
> affairs, it's time to stop jollying the faithful along and tell them to keep
> their delusions out of the public realm.
>
> Carl

So we just tell the faithful they're all just a bunch of fucking morons and they need to cut it out? Oh how I wish...

We need to offer them something better than religion, and "if you join our club, we won't think you're an idiot" isn't all that compelling. Surely we can mine the Enlightenment tradition for a positive "spiritual" vision of the well-lived, meaningful life? Actually, we _have_ to do this -- the alternative for future generations is mandatory mega-church attendance and/or extinction.

-WD