[lbo-talk] Nat'l Review's Jerry Bowyer says universal healthcare breeds terrorism

Peter Hart Ward pward at peterhartward.com
Mon Jul 9 17:06:53 PDT 2007

In fact, part of the reason we're so in efficient is because a private system ends up being even more bureaucratic. And, in countries with public health care such as the UK much of the bureaucracy that there is is due to illegitimate interference by politicians--in the case of the NHS destructive interference to help expedite the process, well under way, of privatizing the system ("foundation hospitals", e.g.). The insurance industry is a huge parasite, to be sure; but Bowyer is right in that the government could, like the private companies, become a meddlesome burden.

Health care experts (doctors, nurses, etc.) should give us the options and the public, not self-appointed representatives, should have the final say--it is not for politicians and pundits to patronize us with what is and is not "realistic"; the fact is, they don't know enough about what they're talking about to honestly claim to know what is or is not realistic. (Perhaps it would be more accurate to describe our representative political system a "patrocracy" rather than a "democracy".)

Peter Ward Crank Brooklyn, NY