[lbo-talk] Liberal Intellectuals and the Coordinator Class

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jul 11 12:17:47 PDT 2007

> It seems to me that there's a certain level that's humane
and just and affordable ... and insufficient for the significant majority of people who want more than that. . . But the minimum should be way higher than it is today.

Recently, I have been thinking similar thoughts. Every person, no matter if they want to work or not, should be granted shelter, clothing, food, medical care, means of communication, education. There will be people who will be fine with just that and society should allow them to be fine. A big shift will be to get people to abandon the practice of demonizing those who choose not to work.

I think that there will be other people (and I think that these people will be in the majority) who will want to work for any number of reasons. We are never going to get everybody on the same page about how much they want to work, why they want to work, what work they want/are willing to do. Part of living will be people sorting all of this out on a day-to-day basis.

> One tax, a progressive income tax, for the entire budget
> No regressive "payroll" taxes
> All costs on-budget (no SSA carveouts)

Also, no/very limited inherited wealth. This would be another big shift that people would have to make.

Brian