[lbo-talk] Negative Income Tax (Was Re: Liberal Intellectuals and the Coordinator Class)

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 13:49:13 PDT 2007

Milton Friedman (! no kidding - honest!) argued that persons making less than a specified minimum should receive a "negative income tax" ("NIT") -- effectively a guaranteed annual income.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_income_tax

THe Family Assistance Plan, based on the NIT, was twice proposed to Congress (a Democratic Congress) and twice rejected by that other famous liberal Richard Nixon. Four More Years! Re-Elect The President!

My junior? year HS, 1973!? (gaak), the guaranteed annual income was the national HS competitive on-topic debate topic for the year. It was a totally mainstream idea.