[lbo-talk] Chinese are getting serious....

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 13:06:07 PDT 2007

$85!

China should start outsourcing its executions. I understand Cambodia has any number of highly experienced killers who have been underemployed for a while, as well.

China's harsh way with white collar crime put me in mind of my favorite little management tract, The One Bullet Manager -- more wisdom from Cambodia (ahem) (see below).

http://www.burgy.50megs.com/1BULLET.htm

Btw, under the federal bribery statute, 18 USC 201, you can only get 2 years, plus a treble fine and a 15 year disqualification from federal employment. But the same conduct pretty much is criminalized under the Hobbs Act, sec 1951(b)(2) (extortion), and can get you 20 years, plus if you do two of these acts proscribed under either sec 201 or 1951 in a ten year period as part of a pattern involving an enterprise (including a government agency), you can be charged under RICO, sec. 1961-63, and get up to 20 years. So in theory you could get up to 42 years for two acts of bribery/extortion/racketeering, if they had the sentences run consecutively. If you had a clean rap sheet that would not happen under the Sentencing Guidelines. Chinese law is definitely harsher.

************

One-Bullet Manager

Fourth in the Rampant House series of self-help books.

Book 1. I'm OK, You're DOA

Book 2. Winning Through Annihilation

Book 3. What Color Are Your Guts?

Book 4. The One-Bullet Manager

Book 5. Intimidation; The Key to a Successful Relationship

Book 6. Winner is All; Attila, Napoleon, Hitler, Hussein

Book 7. The Myth of the Peace-seekers

Book 8. Being Loved Isn't Everything; Its Nothing!

Book 9. Keeping Your Family in Line

Diogenes, despairing of the quest for an honest person,

determined to search for the ideal manager. His journey took him

to military war rooms, to corporation board rooms, to the seats

of governmental powers, yes -- even to the Vatican! He met with

"hard nosed results-oriented" managers, with "participative

managers, with leaders who espoused theories of "X," "Y" and

alphabet soup. Some were kind and good. Others were mean and

evil. One was kind and evil! All succeeded for a time, but then

stumbled and fell as events overtook them. Diogenes was

discouraged.

One day there came to Diogenes a report of a manager in a faraway

land who had accomplished things too great to be believed. At the

end of his rope, Diogenes traveled off to see him. At last he

gained entrance to the man's office. He found him there, dressed

in plain military fatigues, totally absorbed in the task of

cleaning and reassembling an automatic pistol. Close by, an

interpreter sat at rigid attention.

The manager waved him to a small camp stool. "How can I help

you," he asked through the interpreter.

"I have a few question about your management style," Diogenes

responded. The manager smiled, nodded, and said something in his

language. The interpreter jumped about a foot, then gave the

translation: "Shoot."

"Do you schedule regular meetings with your staff?" ask Diogenes.

"Certainly."

"Can you tell me how these proceed?

"Well," said the manager, fondling his pistol, "I listen

carefully while my people review their accomplishments and

setbacks of the previous week. I then evaluate everyone's

performance based on the goals I have personally set. Then I

select the poorest performer and shoot him."

"You kill him?"

"Of course," said the manager, with visible impatience. "Why else

would I shoot him? Here, look at the sign on my desk."

Diogenes looked at the sign, carved into a bone. It read:

PEOPLE WHO ARE TERRIFIED

PRODUCE

As he examined the sign, and reflected on its probable origin,

the manager spoke again, "Let me ask you a question." Do you see

that beam near the ceiling?" He pointed to a thick pole near the

roof, about ten feet from the floor. Diogenes nodded his assent.

"Do you think you could reach it if you jumped?" asked the

manager. Diogenes, no athlete, badly out of shape from many years

of wandering without proper attention to either diet or exercise,

returned "I hardly think so."

The manager pointed the pistol at Diogenes feet and fired; the

next thing Diogenes knew he was swinging by his hands from the

pole and staring at his right shoe, missing about 1/2 inch of its

tip. The manager said nothing, but simply gazed at him.

"I think I get your point," Diogenes panted, as he dropped back

to the floor and sat back on the camp stool. "Now, would you

describe yourself as a hands on manager?

"Not at all," rejoined the manager. "More a hands up manager, or,

the term I prefer, and my preferences seem to pretty much carry

the day, a One-Bullet manager." I use that term because a bullet

is the only thing I need to motivate my people and get results."

"That's all?" questioned Diogenes, remembering the countless

hours he had spent listening to other managers babble on about

Productivity Analysis, Goal Formation, Authority Flow Structures,

and such.

"You don't believe me, do you?" declared the manager, again

caressing the PISTOL.

"I believe you, I BELIEVE YOU," exclaimed Diogenes.

Just then a very nervous woman came in with a notebook. The

manager spoke with her briefly; the interpreter did not

translate. When the conversation terminated, the manager got up,

went over to the woman, shook her hand enthusiastically and shot

her in the foot. She hopped rapidly out the door, obviously

making a great effort to avoid shrieking in pain, for the

manager's shot had clearly removed a great deal more that the

first 1/2 inch of her shoe. Diogenes, concerned, could not help

exclaiming "What was that all about?"

"That was a One-Bullet Goal Setting Meeting," the manager

replied. I meet regularly with all of my staff and explain to

them the goals I have set. Then I give them a reminder of the

problem they will encounter if they fail to meet those goals.

This One Bullet Goal Setting Meeting is one of my three secrets

of my One Bullet Management Style"

Diogenes, by this time having more curiosity than common sense

remaining, could not help his next question. "What are the other

two secrets?" Even as he asked, he felt great disquiet. Perhaps

he had best go back for his search for an honest person!

"Let me demonstrate," said the manager, and Diogenes began to

feel even worse. Another staff member was summoned. He looked

very frightened. The manager looked him in the eye, said a few

stern-sounding words to him, put his arm around his shoulders,

and shot him in the head.

As the body was being carried out, the manager spoke. "When one

of my staff fails to meet a goal, I make it a point to tell him

right away. I call this, the second of my secrets, the One-Bullet

Reprimand."

Diogenes had the distinct feeling he ought to conclude his

meeting as quickly as possible, but his philosophic curiosity

impelled him to ask the obvious question, "And if someone does

meet their goals?"

"I'm glad you asked me that," returned the manager. "I have on my

staff a real go-getter. He has what it takes to get the job done

and move ahead."

The man entering the room was confident, even cocky, holding his

head high and smiling. The manager was smiling too, as he arose,

went directly to the man, shook his hand vigorously, talked to

him for a long time in earnest friendly tones, then shot him in

the head.

"That was my One-Bullet Praise," said the manager, returning to

his desk and reloading the pistol. "I wanted him to know that I

was aware how well he was doing and how close he was coming to be

able to replace me!"

The manager could see that Diogenes, although he had now been

exposed to the three secrets of his management style, was still

having trouble comprehending it. He felt sad. "You've seen my

truth motto." Let me show you my philosophy motto. He handed

Diogenes a second carved bone. It read:

POWER COMES OUT

OF THE BARREL OF A GUN

As he read the plaque, Diogenes reflected on the manager's

unusual approach. Deep in thought, he failed to hear the soft

click as the manager racked a fresh bullet into the chamber. "I

am pleased that you're so interested in One-Bullet Management,"

said the manager with great sincerity. But I fear your interest

is somewhat too great... ."