[lbo-talk] Liberal Intellectuals and the Coordinator Class

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Jul 11 14:20:15 PDT 2007

> Education is an opportunity that is
> there, but not mandatory. It is also a process
> a person can dip into and out of over the course
> of her life.
>
> I think the communication part is important since
> it is a way to keep people involved and knowledgeable
> about their society even if they do not work.

I think the US isn't that far off from "pretty good" in these two (which is why I didn't put them on my list -- we're not talking about Utopia here). Public schools through high school (yes, they can be bad, but the structure is in place) and Community Colleges (also could be better; what can't?); and there are things like 'lifeline' telephone services. If you're talking about computers, sure put it on the list:

Since this is my idea (hah) I'll just remind you: it's not a question of how to fix everything all at once, it's a question of how to provide *something* for *everyone* without tearing down the possibility of *someones* getting *everything* :-)

/jordan