[lbo-talk] The Problem of Conspiracy Theorists at the Anti-War Meeting Yesterday

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Wed Jul 11 14:39:55 PDT 2007

Ironically, I had heard about this same meeting from a friend of a friend and had the same response of despair. To get to this question though, conspiracy theory operates on a logic of expressive causality. Rather than looking at global capitalism as a complex overdetermined disciplinary system, blame is placed at the feet of a small group of men who are seen as being nearly omnipotent. Conspiracy occurs within capitalism, however it cannot explain the basic mechanisms of the system. I was just at Mayday books (a Mpls radical bookstore) and all the people who have worked there now buy into this stuff. I really can't understand how people who are ostensibly Marxist could buy into this stuff....

robert wood