[lbo-talk] The Problem of Conspiracy Theorists at the Anti-War Meeting Yesterday

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 13 16:41:33 PDT 2007

Alexander Cockburn has made the case against 9-11 conspiracy believers pretty strongly (a departure from his usual contrarian take on things), but the charges he makes against the gullible cant be made against someone like David Ray Griffin.

There are elements in our government that have carried out assassinations and false flag operations before this, and it's not beyond the realm of the possible that they were involved in 9-11. At the very least, they could have known the attack was coming and chosen not to prevent it.

I dont see anything wrong with contemplating such a possibility, or seeing that a ruling class, when backed to the wall, is capable of such dark deeds, as long as it doesnt become the end point of one's analysis.

I've seen Dr Bob Bowman in public, and he may not be the kind of person I'd enjoy spending an evening with, but the "Patriot" platform he describes below doesnt contain much that I dont agree with. If you believe there's any hope of saving this country through its existing political institutions, these are all things you would have to accomplish.

<http://www.columbus911truth.org/2007/07/06/this-thursday-july-12th-dr-robert-bowmans-patriot-tour/>)
> [...]
> giving birth to the word, it is clear that to be a
> "patriot" is to
> have a parental love for the people of one's tribe
> or nation. One
> cannot have a "patriotic love" for the corporations
> in one's country
> or for its military-industrial complex, only for its
> people. Clearly
> then, those in our government who have served their
> corporate masters
> to the detriment of the people are not patriots, and
> have no claim to
> the word. The vast majority of Americans love our
> country in ways that
> equate to service to the people. We are the
> patriots.
>
> Our Declaration of Independence and Constitution
> make it clear that
> the whole purpose of government is to serve and
> protect the people..
> Ours is a government designed to be "of the people,
> by the people, and
> for the people." We, the Patriots, have a right and
> a duty to demand
> and to secure such a government. If those in power
> will not fulfill
> their Constitutional duty to serve the people, then
> we must remove
> them and replace them with those who will.
> We, the People of the United States of America ,
> deserve better than
> we have been getting.
>
> We must demand a government which
>
> (1) follows the Constitution,
> (2) honors the truth, and
> (3) serves the people.
>
> We Patriots can bring about such a government by
> electing Patriots to
> Congress and recruiting Patriots already in
> government to our cause.
> It is always tempting to start yet another political
> party, but our
> system makes such a course futile. Until we have
> instant runoff voting
> (IRV), proportional representation, real campaign
> finance reform,
> re-regulation of the media, and debates involving
> all political
> parties, no third party can win the presidency or
> more than a handful
> of seats in Congress.
>
> Accordingly, "The Patriots" is not a political
> party, but a
> nonpartisan organization of patriotic Americans
> seeking to return our
> country to Constitutional government based on truth
> and in service of
> the people. For now, we operate as a project of the
> non-profit
> Institute for Space and Security Studies, a 501c(3)
> organization. Our
> immediate mission is to educate the American people
> on the issues. In
> the future, we may form a "Patriot PAC" to support
> candidates for
> public office and to promote specific legislation.
> We also intend to
> form a Patriot Caucus including members of Congress

=== message truncated ===