[lbo-talk] Liberal Intellectuals and the Coordinator Class

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 17 07:57:56 PDT 2007

On 7/17/07, Bill Bartlett <billbartlett at aapt.net.au> wrote:
> In fact, the way you talk it seems almost as if any other kind of
> social organisation is literally inconceivable to you.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Anyway, if your words were really "inconceivable" to me, I'd ask why you were writing nonsense sentences like "#@$ %#$!" or "Colorless green dreams sleep furiously." ;)

I think your views are certainly conceivable. In fact, earlier I suggested that your personal view of econ might result in two classes: a working class and idle consumers. John Thornton seems to agree:

"To directly answer Doug's question as posed to Bill: "do you

think a just society should allow some people to coast by on the

labor of others?" Of course! When my work allows others the

freedom to not work it maximizes my own freedom."

Now, you clearly believe this arrangement would lead to far better outcomes than other systems people here are interested in. Maybe, maybe not. I think it's more decent than many systems, but certainly not as desirable as others.

> Its still an economic system Tayssir, whether or not you are prepared
> to concede it. There is no reason why people can't play different
> roles and organise in non coercive institutions.

Que? I said "I got the impression" "in the sense I think of it." Then I explored why I had this personal, subjective impression.

Compare that to John Thorton's firm implication that most people on LBO-talk offer arguments which are "incredibly weak and rooted in irrational fear." (Except for you of course, as you agree with him.)

Thought we were being honest about our personal impressions.

Tayssir -- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093779/quotes