[lbo-talk] Liberal Intellectuals and the Coordinator Class

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 17 13:51:42 PDT 2007

Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:
> I think your views are certainly conceivable. In fact, earlier I
> suggested that your personal view of econ might result in two classes:
> a working class and idle consumers. John Thornton seems to agree:
>
> "To directly answer Doug's question as posed to Bill: "do you
> think a just society should allow some people to coast by on the
> labor of others?" Of course! When my work allows others the
> freedom to not work it maximizes my own freedom."
>
> Now, you clearly believe this arrangement would lead to far better
> outcomes than other systems people here are interested in. Maybe,
> maybe not. I think it's more decent than many systems, but certainly
> not as desirable as others.
>
> Compare that to John Thorton's firm implication that most people on
> LBO-talk offer arguments which are "incredibly weak and rooted in
> irrational fear." (Except for you of course, as you agree with him.)
>

> Tayssir
Can you give me a reason for opposing an equal distribution of all income, after all needs have been met, that is not "incredibly weak and rooted in irrational fear"? I'd enjoy reading it. Your idea that there would come to be two classes, a working class and and idle class is based on what? The totally rational and not fear based belief that some huge segment of the population have absolutely no self esteem and no desire to do something meaningful so they would enjoy nothing better than to simply coast through life on someone else's back? They have no desire to be a contributing member of society except through coercion? I reject that thinking. Given the choice to voluntarily participate in whatever manner possible I believe most people will choose to find some manner in which to become contributing members of such a society. You believe they will not voluntarily do so and need to be coerced to participate meaningfully. Your vision of humanity as selfish free-riders is overly pessimistic and rooted in fear. This is not a blanket condemnation of all arguments on LBO as weak and rooted in fear only the arguments against equal remuneration as put forth to date.

John Thornton