[lbo-talk] Congestion pricing goes down

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Jul 17 10:25:56 PDT 2007

> How can NYC accomplish the plan's carbon trimming
> objectives without congestion pricing?

I don't think they can do it alone. My basic difference with Doug is that he thinks you can pressure people with something negative to get them to stop doing something undesireable; I think you have to sweeten the deal to encourage them in a positive way to do something other than the thing you find objectionable. So for me that means things like incentives for carpooling and better public transit. I also gave some alternatives in my earlier post: tougher emission and mileage standards for both cars and trucks would be a big win; tougher emission standards on electricity generation facilities would also be a big win.

You know, basically the opposite of what the last 6 years has given us.

/jordan