[lbo-talk] Congestion pricing goes down

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Jul 17 12:42:07 PDT 2007

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> they thought they could pay for them by implementing a user tax (which
> I'm almost always against, but even moreso on this one)

Just out curiosity, can you explain the principle behind that aversion? I say this as a man who shares this POV as a prejudice. But since mainstream economics, the orthodoxy of our day, basically declares that user fees are always good, and the more the better, it's a prejudice that always needs defending. Belief in the postulate that user fees make things more efficient and that lack of them leads to disaster is an argument opposed to social-democratic programs all across the board. I'd love if you had a counter one.

Michael