[lbo-talk] more on fuel economy

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Jul 19 14:39:54 PDT 2007

John:

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> I think this is based on your view that the SUV fad was totally
manufactured
> by the marketing machine. I disagree. I think that there was a great
deal
> of manufacturing, to be sure, but at the end the SUV marketing appealed to
> atavistic and "reptilian" instincts already existing in the human
> subconscious. Marketing researchers merely discovered it and used it to
> their advantage, but they did not manufacture it - it was already there
(my
> source on this is Keith Bradsher, _ High and Mighty: SUVs--The World's
Most
> Dangerous Vehicles and How They Got That Way_).

That's what you got from Bradsher's book?

[WS:] Chapter 6, appropriately titled "Reptile Dreams."

However, your other points are valid and I acknowledged them in my previous posting. The point I was trying to make was that the effect of marketing - and media in general - is never pure manufacturing. It is always grounded in the ideas and desires already present in the human psyche. Marketing merely builds on them. If marketing (or media) tried to push something that is contrary to those ideas and desires that are already present in the human psyche, it would not get very far.

Wojtek