[lbo-talk] more on fuel economy

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 20 07:03:38 PDT 2007

Jordan:

I don't think we can set a fixed date, because we don't have a way (yet) to achieve that goal. What I think I'd like to see is a return to a steady increase in mileage and emission standards, and maybe a coupling to Income tax breaks for those who trade up to better mileage and emissions. Now that's something to sell!

Yup. That would go over very well I think.

You're right: we obviously don't yet have a way to completely de-carbonize. I think of this, however, as a Manhattan Project style moment, only on a planetary scale; i.e. here's your objective, you [corporate industry] have several theories and engineering prototypes worked out fairly well...stop sitting around talking and make it happen. Those are your orders.

Steady increases in mileage and emission standards would be mandated, encouraged and rewarded. But the goal, the end point, would be explicitly stated and well understood: zero carbon output or as near as you can get us there with all deliberate speed.

.d.