[lbo-talk] more on fuel economy

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 08:19:21 PDT 2007

On 7/20/07, Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:

> Based on my casual and unscientific observations, SUV drivers are more
> likely to be assholes than drivers of other types of vehicles. They often
> take two parking spots - perhaps because the idiots do not know how to park
> the fucking thing properly - and they tend to drive more aggressively than
> others, cutting other people off, tailgating, blinding others with their
> high beams, etc.

To quote myself quoting somebody else:

<http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/2006/2006-November/021607.html>

[...]

To look at them by median income, age, occupation, family size or where they live, people who buy minivans and people who buy sport utilities look fairly similar, the automakers' research has found. The typical minivan or sport utility purchaser is most often a fairly affluent married couple in their 40's with children. And while minivans are sometimes labeled "mom-mobiles," the principal drivers of minivans, like sport utility vehicles, are actually a little more likely to be men than women.

Yet a growing body of research by automakers is finding that buyers of these two kinds of vehicles are very different psychologically. Sport utility buyers tend to be more restless, more sybaritic, less social people who are "self-oriented," to use the automakers' words, and who have strong conscious or subconscious fears of crime. Minivan buyers tend to be more self-confident and more "other-oriented" -- more involved with family, friends and their communities.

[...]

Reading marketing textbooks can confirm every ranty, activismistish suspicion you've ever had about the world. It can make you feel young again.

-- Andy