[lbo-talk] more on fuel economy

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri Jul 20 08:19:34 PDT 2007

On 20 Jul, 2007, at 10:45 AM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> SUVs are asshole mobiles and it is a
> shame to even be seen in one. The only time I rode in one was when I
> visited my friend in New Jersey who owned some overpriced
> monstrosity whose
> name escapes me with a myriad of gadgets inside. She was basically
> a good
> person, but always status-conscious & doing everything to keep up
> with the
> Joneses, so she must have felt "obliged" to shell over 50 grand on
> an SUV
> when everyone in New Jersey seemed to own one.
>
> Based on my casual and unscientific observations, SUV drivers are more
> likely to be assholes than drivers of other types of vehicles. <...>

Well, you may be right... I own a mini-SUV (Toyota RAV4), I do live in New Jersey, and I have been told multiple times that I am an asshole [sic], typically by pedestrians walking past me during anti- war marches, etc.

;-)

Ignoring the possibility that I am being defensive, I think you guys are trying to build a philosophy around a peeve. We have the same thing in the motorcycle world regarding you "cagers", especially the ones driving Volvos. I have similar theories about country music and its fans, guys with moustaches, people who eat American Chinese food, people who eat meat, people who think Casablanca is the greatest movie ever made, Beatles fans, countries where people drive on the right side of the road, people who say "I'm going to let you go" (when what they mean is that they want to go) or use phrases like "running errands", "the both of you", people who think Manhattan is New York, people who top post on Usenet or mailing lists (this I think may even be empirically provable ;-)), people who use Outlook, Mac users (of which I am one), and most importantly Platonists.

--ravi