[lbo-talk] more on fuel economy

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 20 10:53:47 PDT 2007

> On 20 Jul, 2007, at 10:45 AM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>
>> SUVs are asshole mobiles and it is a
>> shame to even be seen in one.
>> Based on my casual and unscientific observations, SUV drivers are more
>> likely to be assholes than drivers of other types of vehicles. <...>
>>

> Well, you may be right... I own a mini-SUV (Toyota RAV4), I do live
> in New Jersey, and I have been told multiple times that I am an
> asshole [sic], typically by pedestrians walking past me during anti-
> war marches, etc.
>
> --ravi
Market research shows that SUV drivers are more selfish than drivers who choose other vehicles. They volunteer less time than buyers of other vehicles, have higher levels of irrational fears, and are more anti-social. Research shows SUV owners are more willing to put others at risk to insure their own safety. Not that most people are not willing to do this to some extent only that SUV buyers are noticeably more willing to do this than others. The SUV appeals to persons who desire a menacing looking vehicle that they want other drivers to feel menaced by. They are more self-absorbed and self-centered and lack confidence in their own driving skills hence the desire to compensate for lack of perceived skill by putting themselves in an armored shell. They are also chosen by married persons who wish to appear unattached to others and do not wish to admit to strangers they are parents for fear of not appearing attractive to members of the opposite sex. SUV owners have a stronger desire to have others fear them and a stronger desire to control the behaviour of others. They are willing to accept the trade-off of greatly endangering others to achieve extremely small improvements in personal safety. Advertisements use phrases like "Now with added intimidation" and "Let nature worry about you for a change" for a very good reason. Such slogans resonate with selfish assholes and they buy SUV's.

One huge caveat here is necessary. I assigned Bradshers book to my Community College students. Many came away feeling justified flipping off and becoming hostile towards ALL SUV drivers they saw. I took great pains to point out that while these trends are very real they do not explain EVERY SUV buyer. Just because there is an 85% chance the dude in the SUV next to you is an asshole doesn't mean he is one. I pointed out that "The Kitchen", the food service portion of our only homeless shelter, is run by Sister Lorraine and Father Dougherty who both drive SUV's. They needed large vehicles to pick up food donations and shuttle people with no cars to doctor visits and such. They would have preferred minivans but the new SUV's were donated so they use them. My next door neighbor on the other hand has two SUV's one for him and one for his wife and they are just selfish pricks. They have actually parked in front of my driveway on more than one occasion and when confronted about it actually replied they "didn't think I was going anywhere any time soon". Since they could not possibly know my schedule what they really meant was I don't give a fuck what you need I wanted to park there rather than 10 feet further up the street because I am a selfish shithead.

John Thornton