[lbo-talk] Moore's Sicko Analysis

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Jul 20 20:19:09 PDT 2007

joanna wrote:

> What are you talking about? Universal health care in the U.S. is not
> table scraps. It's a fucking fantasy that would have more of an impact
> helping workers feel less frightened than anything else I could think
> of. Less frightened workers = workers that are better able to fight
> back. Not to mention that it would be a great example of the fact that
> socialized systems are more efficient than private systems.

This list is disappointing me more these days than it is filling some kind of positive addition to my daily existence. The comments posted today in response to my earlier comments really have me wondering why the hell I rejoined this list.

Have the radicals left the building?

I am a person who hasn't had any kind of health care in over 6 years. I'm really, really lucky that I am a healthy middle-aged male. I've been reminded of my good fortune this week when I've been taking a friend to the methadone clinic because she sprained her ankle horribly six weeks ago and can't afford to get decent treatment. My main healthcare need is dental care and I'm lucky that Kansas City has some really affordable options for people needing dental care.

Universal health care would be a huge improvement in my life and in the lives of the people around me. But I don't need Michael Moore to tell me that and I find it hard to get enthused about a film whose message about health care is going to be about voting.

I'm so disappointed in the poverty of vision expressed by some people on this list. Are things that bad that we'll settle for something that we should have by our birthright? I want free health care, but I still want something better, the end of capitalism. If I wanted to read Rah! Rah! comments about Michael Moore, I'd go spend time at DailyKos. But this list is supposed to be for people who want something more radical.

I'm glad that Michael Moore does these movies, but I expect something more radical.

Chuck