[lbo-talk] Moore's Sicko Analysis

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Jul 20 17:54:30 PDT 2007

Chuck wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>

>>Compared to what? The movie's in hundreds of theaters, released by a
>>major distributor. Moore's all over the media. If he'd condemned
>>capitalism and called for revolution, he'd be on YouTube. It's
>>amazing that something as critical not only of US health insurance
>>but of the ethic of competitive individualism gets this much
>>attention at all.
>>

>Shit. It really sounds around here like the American Left is settling
>for table scraps instead of something more substantial and radical.

What are you talking about? Universal health care in the U.S. is not table scraps. It's a fucking fantasy that would have more of an impact helping workers feel less frightened than anything else I could think of. Less frightened workers = workers that are better able to fight back. Not to mention that it would be a great example of the fact that socialized systems are more efficient than private systems.

Joanna