[lbo-talk] Moore's Sicko Analysis

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 20 09:55:11 PDT 2007

Chuck wrote:
> Doug Henwood wrote:
>

>> Compared to what? The movie's in hundreds of theaters, released by a
>> major distributor. Moore's all over the media. If he'd condemned
>> capitalism and called for revolution, he'd be on YouTube. It's
>> amazing that something as critical not only of US health insurance
>> but of the ethic of competitive individualism gets this much
>> attention at all.
>>

> Shit. It really sounds around here like the American Left is settling
> for table scraps instead of something more substantial and radical.
>
> I fully expect that after I see this film, I will still agree with my
> friend Herod's critiqu of this film.
>
> Chuck

Nationally socialized health care is now to be considered as mere table scraps?

Moore should have called for total revolution with W.'s head on a pike. Anything less is just plain groveling. Fuck the simpletons who want free access to health care, that will just make them more complacent. Abolish the state and let localities cobble together their own health plans. I'm sure the quality of care for localities like Newark's East Ward will be comparable to Newport's Fifth Ward. We don't need a bloated national bureaucracy when local autonomous regions can handle this themselves. Voluntarily of course.

While I reject a piecemeal approach to health care on the grounds that it is too divisive and means tested health care arrangements like Medicaid are easy to underfund since they only apply to the ethereal "other", a national socialized system is a real concrete step that could help radicalize millions of people and is one that improves their lives immeasurably to boot! Get people thinking about and enjoying socialized health care and who knows what people might want to socialize next? Possibly nothing, but possibly many things. Not being omniscient I can't say for certain. I'm eager to find out. Why any leftist should reject something like this is a complete mystery to me. I guess some leftists may believe radicalization will occur as an epiphany for millions one day rather than through hard fought gains in a step by step process. Either that or some leftists don't want to make the masses too comfortable in the idea that this will delay the revolution. That's truly sick thinking but on what other grounds would someone who truly wishes to help working people oppose National Health Care? Maybe I lack imagination but I can think of none.

John Thornton