[lbo-talk] Marx and Justice

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Jul 22 18:22:30 PDT 2007

On Jul 22, 2007, at 7:04 PM, James Heartfield wrote:

> I can't help feeling that Rakesh gives too much ground to the idea
> that
> exploitation is unjust. I think Marx is very clear when he says
> that labour
> power is paid at the proper rate.

I've long thought that Marx was being ironic about this - that labor power is paid at a "just" rate is just evidence of how preposterous the notion of capitalist justice is (liberty, equality, and Bentham). The notion that the value of labor power is its cost of reproduction makes sense under bourgeois norms, for sure. Why else should we care about exploitation if it isn't unjust?

Doug