[lbo-talk] hipster update: now, a musical!

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 25 22:03:17 PDT 2007

I'm not sure what this means, but at the Exxon TigerMart gas station a block away from me, the convenience store has Misfits merchandise at its front counter, near the condoms and lotto tickets and Red Bull energy drinks.

15 years ago this would have been unimaginable. In my mid-teens I obsessively collected Misfits stuff; they were a sort of obscure-ish underground horror punk band that had broken up in 1983, mostly known, if at all, because Metallica did one cover of them. People traded copies of their records in the classified ads of MRR and other small circulation zines. I had several bootlegs of Misfits demos that I sold off back then, regrettably. (Yes, there is a "Misfits" band now but it just uses the same logo and only a couple of members are the same, sort of like The Doors without Jim Morrison, a farcical joke of what they were).

Anyway, that just kind of blew me away. Similarly, a tourist shop in downtown Austin had a huge banner for the anarcho-punk band Crass on their wall. I didn't buy it, but I revisited the shop tonight and apparently someone had bought it at $30. Wall clocks and retro-movie posters sell there for, like, a shitload of money. Bettie Page on a wall clock for $30. I love Page, too, but it's all a bit much. $10 for a set of 5 Bettie Page postcards - come on.

And for what it's worth, Killing Joke are selling their kick ass shirt of Nazis saluting the Pope -- for $60 US. What the hell. http://www.plastichead.com/cat_images/medium/MDKJ005LSXXL.jpg

-B.

Doug Henwood wrote:

"Williamsburg! The Musical is a hilarious pop/rock parody of Brooklyn’s over-hyped hipster ‘hood. A suicidal Trust-Funder encounters a disenchanted Hasidic Jew in the shadow of the Williamsburg Bridge. On their potholed road to love, they battle a greedy real estate agent whose diabolical plan to overtake the neighborhood spawns an army of zombie-like hipsters."