[lbo-talk] hipster update: now, a musical!

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Thu Jul 26 14:00:41 PDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 10:03:17PM -0700, B. wrote:
> I'm not sure what this means, but at the Exxon
> TigerMart gas station a block away from me, the
> convenience store has Misfits merchandise at its front
> counter, near the condoms and lotto tickets and Red
> Bull energy drinks.

Hot Topic (HOTT) is a mall-store that sells all kinds of "alternative related music and clothing" and the first time I encountered it in a mall (they've been around for years) I had the same reaction. Misfits stuff? The prices are outrageous and the quality of most of it is junk.

Commoditized punk rock! Get your $28 Misfits tee which will fall apart after 3 washings, right ehre in the mall!

When thought about in the big picture though, it isn't that surprising that these types of companies have figured out how to turn an underground art into something they can package, market and sell. That's what they do.

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 yahoo msg: beyondzero123 http://blogdayafternoon.com

We don't know if it was a case of international terrorism... or road rage.

-FBI Agent Frank Perry, commenting on the three-state alert regarding a car containing 'middle eastern men' which alledgedly tried to run a fuel truck off the road.