[lbo-talk] Economic Blowback from Bombing Iran

Robert Wrubel bobwrubel at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 31 17:43:15 PDT 2007

Ravi said: "the entire purpose of the threats towards Iran is to have an ongoing "crisis" to serve as a diversion."

Andy answered: "True, perhaps.... But I don't think I'll ever get over being disabused of the notion that invading Iraq was just too goddamn stupid to happen."

In the world of "diversions" and distractions, it's not necessary to believe that the administration knows at all times what's real and what's not, or what's stupid and not. It's smart to be skeptical about any current bruhaha, but at the same time, you shouldnt discount the possibility that, for reasons we may not guess, the admin may stumble into something really horrible. When you have as much power as they do, and as many ways of exercising it, and as great a cloak of secrecy, and as many different pressures and interests clamoring for attention, who knows what will happen? It's not as as if some judicious ruling body (the "establishment", Goldman Sachs, etc.) is calling all the shots.

I agree with both Ravi and Andy. It's not in the cards, but dont bet on it.

BobW