[lbo-talk] FT on Israel boycott

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Jun 1 08:27:56 PDT 2007

Tfast:

Everyone knows it is a non-enforceable boycott. Hence it is an act of symbolic solidarity. Can we stick arguing about the symbolism of the matter and not some fantasy. What irks me is that they could have had the same symbolic effect without calling for a meaningless boycott.

[WS:] What irks me is the hot air symbolism in general. It usually amount to pompous bullshit aimed to construct the speaker's credentials (revolutionary, countercultural, or otherwise), but otherwise does absolutely nothing, except conveying the utter powerlessness. Lefties are quite big on such symbolism, cf. below:

Wojtek

http://orangecow.org/pythonet/scripts/Life_of_Brian_Screenplay.txt

BRIAN Are you the Judean People's Front?

REG (pissed) Fuck off!

BRIAN What?

REG Judean People's Front. We're the People's Front of Judea! Judean People's front, caw.

FRANCIS Wankers.

BRIAN Can I join your group?

REG No. Piss off.

BRIAN I didn't want to sell this stuff. It's only a job. I hate the Romans as much as anybody.

PFJ Ssssh. Ssssh, Ssssh, Ssssh, Ssssh!!

JUDITH Are you sure?

BRIAN Oh. Dead sure... I hate the Romans already.

REG Listen. If you really wanted to join the PFJ, you'd have to really hate the Romans.

BRIAN I do.

REG Oh yeah? How much?

BRIAN A LOT.

REG Right. You're in. Listen. The only people we hate more than the Romans are the fucking Judean People's Front.

PFJ Yeah.

JUDITH Splitters.

FRANCIS And the Judean Popular Peoples Front.

PFJ Oh yeah. Splitters.

LORETTA And the People's Front of Judea.

PFJ Splitters.

REG What?

LORETTA The People's Front of Judea. Splitters.

REG We're the People's Front of Judea!

LORETTA Oh. I thought we were the Popular Front.

REG People's Front!

FRANCIS Whatever happened to the Popular Front, Reg?

REG He's over there. --[A single old man sits on a lower seat.]

PFJ [To the old man.] SPLITTER!