[lbo-talk] Announcing Muhammad Yunus' Candidacy to Head the World Bank

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Sat Jun 2 07:15:52 PDT 2007

I'm sorry, Patrick, I thought I covered this. Can't we unite with the liberals against the common enemy just this once? :)

"Objection: Muhammad Yunus is not Jesus Christ Almighty. His presidency might not represent a real break from the policies of the Washington Consensus.

To which the answer is: if so, that makes him a better candidate. If you are trying to overturn a dictatorship, you don't necessarily run the most progressive candidate. You might run a candidate who can unite all the democratic forces. After you've run the dictatorship out of town, there will be plenty of opportunities for food fights among the democratic forces."

I also figured that my "brief resume" of Yunus' qualifications would make clear that I was not arguing that he was the greatest thing since sliced bread:

"Here is a brief resume of Yunus' qualifications for this position:

* He is an economist.

* He won the Nobel Peace prize in 2006 in conjunction with the Grameen Bank, for efforts to extend credit to the poor.

* He is not an American."

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2007/6/1/123630/4493