[lbo-talk] Announcing Muhammad Yunus' Candidacy to Head theWorld Bank

tfast tfast at yorku.ca
Sun Jun 3 11:21:11 PDT 2007

Robert writes:

> But if you compare this to much (most? nearly all?) of the agenda of
> the World Bank... suppose you could reallocate all the money from
> education and health sector and water privatization and building large
> dams to microcredit. wouldn't that be a good thing?

There is a lot of evidence that piping money in at this level overwhelms and is actually destructive to local economies causing everything from wild speculation in local property markets to rapid degeneration of relative prices leading to an incoherent boom. Small amounts of credit can facilitate exchanges that would have happened save for the absence of money. Large infusions tend to overwhelm local markets.

In other words local economies have an absorptive capacity. Any measure which does not increase the absorptive capacity threatens to undermine local markets and leave locals worse off once the gush works it way through and devaluation sets in.

I am afraid there is simply no substitute for public planning in economies which do not already have robust private institutions of coordination and planning.i.e in economies that are already developed.

Neoliberalism was such a colossal failure for the south precisely because markets must be created, i.e., they are not just waiting to be liberated by disparate individuals walking around with pockets full of cash. And the creation of robust private markets takes a long time and a lot of public and private institutions.

*In this regard* new institutionalism looks radical compared to the neoclassical ontology. Even the world Bank is making the "radical" shift in perspective and in this regard,IMHO, Yunus would be a step back for the World Bank because he is neoliberalism redux.

Travis