[lbo-talk] Announcing Muhammad Yunus' Candidacy to Head the World Bank

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Tue Jun 5 02:28:44 PDT 2007

Robert Naiman wrote:
> suppose you could reallocate all the money from
> education and health sector and water privatization and building large
> dams to microcredit. wouldn't that be a good thing?

Absolutely not, comrade. Why shackle a Third World country with a forex loan when the microcredit is in local currency? Who gets the hard currency that goes into the central bank (answer: local waBenzis to finance luxury imports); who pays back the loan in - scarce and expensive - hard currency when microcredit activity generates few or no exports (answer: the society and environment).

> In the meantime, however, the World Bank still has a lot of
> power, particularly in the smaller low-income countries, and so it's
> worth fighting over.

Given the forex constraint noted above, and that every attempt by left-liberals to go inside the WB - Carolyn Moser, Herman Daly, John Clarke, Joe Stiglitz - was a horrible disaster, don't you mean 'fighting against'?

Hey what happened to that eloquent advocate of *defunding* and decommissioning the WB I used to know, comrade Robert?!