[lbo-talk] Bloomberg talks sense on terrorism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jun 5 10:33:26 PDT 2007

<http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_155160642.html>

Jun 5, 2007 10:37 am US/Eastern

Bloomberg On JFK Plot: 'Stop Worrying, Get A Life' Marcia Kramer Reporting

(CBS) NEW YORK While questions continue to arise about the alleged plot to blow up a fuel pipeline beneath JFK Airport and surrounding neighborhoods, some are questioning why New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg hasn't had a louder voice since the plot was foiled on Saturday.

On Monday, Bloomberg finally weighed in, but his response was not what some would have expected.

"There are lots of threats to you in the world. There's the threat of a heart attack for genetic reasons. You can't sit there and worry about everything. Get a life," he said.

That "What, me worry?" attitude pretty much sums up Bloomberg's advice to New Yorkers on the terror plot. As far as he was concerned, the professionals were on it, so New Yorkers shouldn't let it tax their brains.

"You have a much greater danger of being hit by lightning than being struck by a terrorist," he added.

New Yorkers say Bloomberg is entitled to his opinions, but not everybody agrees with him.

"I feel that he's definitely wrong about that because terrorism right now is at its all-time high since 9/11. Everybody wants to be a terrorist and blow something up," one New Yorker told CBS 2 HD.

"We're always going to be a major hit for terrorism. After 9/11, you never know," another added.

Still, others agreed with Bloomberg and said the only way to live in normalcy is to do just that -- live in normalcy.

"There's always a threat, always a possibility, but you always have to keep living your life," a city resident said.

"If you are scared, you know it will be tough to come to work in the city everyday. You don't have to be scared, we're not afraid of anything," said another.

Officials do point out that our post-9/11 intelligence is much better now than it was back then. According to Bloomberg, New York City is still the safest city in America.

New FBI crime statistics show the city continued its decline in violent crime, defying the national trend. Last year the city posted another 5.3 percent drop, whereas violent crime nationally increased by 1.3 percent.

"In terms of what you as individual on the streets should worry about is not whether the person sitting next to you on the subway is a terrorist. The likelihood of that is so small it is not something you should worry about," Bloomberg said.