[lbo-talk] "Capitalists" and "the rich"

Mr. WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 08:13:40 PDT 2007

I think Andie's definition is too rigid in its emphasis on "private ownership of sufficient productive assets." I would submit that a 21st century capitalist must have a substantial amount of any of the following:

1) Ownership of sufficient productive assets 2) Authority (the power to hire and fire workers, boss workers around, etc. -- almost always correlated with income) 3) Potential to one day have a substantial amount of 1 or 2, but who lack it presently (e.g. people in their 20s who've recently earned their MBAs and are just entering the workforce)

The primary advantage of this definition would be that it accounts for the problematic class position of the higher-paid administrators and professionals that Marvin noted. Moreover, it also explains why a lot of Americans are confused about their actual class interests (too many folks overestimate how much of 3 they have).

-WD