[lbo-talk] celebrity unit

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Jun 7 08:40:30 PDT 2007

Doug Henwood wrote:
> The LA county jail has a *celebrity unit*???? There really is no
> fucking justice in this world.
>
> Reuters: "She was housed in a unit for celebrities and high-profile
> inmates at a prison in Lynwood, about 15 miles from Los Angeles."

Interesting sociological question: what is the social process by which an inmate is identified as a "celebrity" or "high-profile"? I imagine Hollywood agents going through 8x10 glossies--"she's hot right now, put her in the celebrity unit", "he's a washed up has been, toss him in with the regulars". And what's the cut off here: B-list? C-list? Kathy Griffin?

Miles