[lbo-talk] celebrity unit

Mr. WD mister.wd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 09:03:21 PDT 2007

> The LA county jail has a *celebrity unit*???? There really is no
> fucking justice in this world.

Jails can be very dangerous places. Any well-known person is going to be a prime target for someone seeking to gain a little notoriety. I have no doubt that a handful of inmates at the regular L.A. county jail would have been itching to give Paris a nasty shanking. It goes without saying that competent jail administrators should be isolating individuals who are at a greater risk of being attacked -- these include celebrities, but also members of certain gangs, or those accused of particularly distasteful crimes.

So I have no problem with a "celebrity unit" per se, as long as the accommodations are the same as any other inmate receives. If you want to talk about there being no justice, how about going after this bullshit:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/us/29jail.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5088&en=25344300f0ef0a4d&ex=1335499200&partner=r

For $82 a Day, Booking a Cell in a 5-Star Jail

"For offenders whose crimes are usually relatively minor (carjackers should not bother) and whose bank accounts remain lofty, a dozen or so city jails across the state offer pay-to-stay upgrades. Theirs are a clean, quiet, if not exactly recherché alternative to the standard county jails, where the walls are bars, the fellow inmates are hardened and privileges are few."

-WD