[lbo-talk] Computing R&D: science or enginering

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 7 12:02:15 PDT 2007

On 6/7/07, Dwayne Monroe <idoru345 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> UBIQUITY: Why do you feel the science claim is
> important? Some people might wonder what difference
> does it really make. Could it perhaps be a distinction
> without an important difference?
>
> DENNING: Four reasons. (1) It's important for
> collaboration because it establishes credibility with
> the natural science fields with which we work closely.

I think that first reason is the most telling -- establishing credibility. This guy was a head honcho of the ACM, the highest-profile professional organization I know of in computing. (Apparently very weak in comparison to what some other professions have.)

Incidentally, the ACM has a bad reputation among some: http://www.nhplace.com/kent/PFAQ/acm.html

As for his substantive points, I don't see why math is any different. After all, scientists make frequent use of math. But maybe I misunderstand.

But of course, an individual may pursue computing as a science. I vaguely recall that in his accessible marxist intro to math, Kolmogorov treated math like a science. Not to mention those who thought they'd find god through math. (Gödel, maybe?)

Tayssir