[lbo-talk] Computing R&D: science or enginering?

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Thu Jun 7 14:23:16 PDT 2007

On 7 Jun, 2007, at 10:26 AM, Dwayne Monroe wrote:
>> From "Ubiquity", the IT magazine of the Association
> for Computing Machinery
>
> BIQUITY: How much success do you think you've had
> advocating that computing is a science?
>
> DENNING: I find little argument with the claim that
> computing is engineering, but skepticism toward the
> claim that computing is science. In the past few years
> there has been a sea change on the science claim. The
> skeptics are coming around.

I am a skeptic and I am not coming around yet ;-). The reasons in my case are quite different.

There is a healthy tradition of considering mathematics as both empirical and as a science. IMHO, only naive notions of verificationism underwrite the opposite belief. Now that I have got that out of the way, the next step in pointing out the obvious is that the foundations of computer science, quite correctly referred to as "computing" above, were mostly laid out before the arrival of computers, in the mathematics of computational theory and recursive functions.

The reason why I remain sceptical about CS as science is that the practice of it is quite unlike anything else that passes for science. In other words, Computing Science is quite a bit detached from Computer Science. There is of course a whole other bag of tricks under the rubric "information theory". I won't touch on that.

--ravi