[lbo-talk] celebrity unit

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Jun 8 09:50:48 PDT 2007

I thought this was very interesting run down of the various issues surrounding the jailing of America's favorite slattern:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-me-paris8jun08,1,7155226.story?coll=la-headlines-entnews

[Both the citation and that phrase I got from Slate's "Today's Papers" written today by Justin Peters].

According to the Sheriff, the release was due to a serious medical condition, undisclosed for privacy reasons; 3 days is more than most people serve for this crime (driving on a suspended license); and because of overcrowding, it is now SOP in LA jails is for female prisoners to leave after serving 10% of their sentence, which in this case would be 4.5 days. On top of that is the struggle between judge and sheriff, the history of both their strong statements that this exact thing wouldn't happen, and the pressure from the outraged reactions of public and prosecutors.

Anyway, I thought it was a good summary.

Michael