[lbo-talk] Torture Re: Nietzsche: Free will

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Sun Jun 10 04:59:07 PDT 2007

At 12:47 AM -0700 10/6/07, B. wrote:

>NPR moved the interview(s) in question to their
>archives and hence a new URL. The new URL is:
>
>http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=13&agg=0&prgDate=06-06-2007&view=storyview
>

>I found the interview(s) above deeply disturbing and
>worthy of attention as they detail US torture
>practices, CIA secret prisons, how the Bush admin.
>either ignores or gets around int'l law to torture
>folks, and the like. It's from Terry Gross's "Fresh
>Air" radio show.

Thanks. Here's a link to a transcript of the 4 corners programme I mentioned.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2007/s1941988.htm

Here's an excerpt. Classic case of the dangers of believing your own propaganda:

SALLY NEIGHBOUR (to Mike Scheuer): If people like that are tortured in places where they're held, is that ok by you?

MIKE SCHEUER, CHIEF/SPECIAL ADVISOR, CIA BIN LADEN UNIT, 1996-2004: Doesn't bother me a lick.

SALLY NEIGHBOUR: Subjected to a range of techniques including water-boarding, Khalid Sheik Mohammed confessed to no fewer than three dozen terrorist plots, including personally beheading Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl.

BOB BAER, FORMER CIA OFFICER AND AUTHOR, "SEE NO EVIL": Khalid Sheik Mohammed was water-boarded. He was probably already unstable. He's made this fantastic confession to the Pentagon and I know for a fact from numerous sources that we know precisely who cut off Danny Pearl's head and it was not Khalid Sheik Mohammed.

So you got a false, you know, he was water-boarded, as I understand, sleep deprivation, cold, hot, the whole thing, and none of it worked.

SALLY NEIGHBOUR: In March 2003 the US and its allies invaded Iraq. One of the reasons given for the invasion was that Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda were working together on weapons of mass destruction.

(Excerpt from speech October 7, 2002):

GEORGE W BUSH, UNITED STATES PRESIDENT: We've learned that Iraq has trained al Qaeda members in bomb-making and poisons and deadly gases ...

(End of excerpt)

(Excerpt from speech at UN Security Council meeting, 3 February 2003):

COLIN POWELL, UNITED STATES SECRETARY OF STATE: ... and unless we act ...

(End of excerpt)

SALLY NEIGHBOUR: Secretary of State Colin Powell cited crucial new intelligence when he went to the UN to make America's case for war.

(Excerpt continued):

COLIN POWELL, UNITED STATES SECRETARY OF STATE: ... I can trace the story of a senior terrorist operative telling how Iraq provided training in these weapons to al-Qaeda. Fortunately this operative is now detained and he has told his story ...

(End of excerpt)

SALLY NEIGHBOUR: The detainee Powell was referring to was Ibn Sheik al Libi, the al-Qaeda captive taken over by the CIA and sent to Egypt in a box.

(Excerpt continued):

COLIN POWELL, UNITED STATES SECRETARY OF STATE: ... The support that this detainee describes included Iraq offering chemical or biological weapons training for two al-Qaeda associates beginning in December 2000 ...

(End of excerpt)

The intelligence, extracted from Libi under torture, has since been proven to be false.