[lbo-talk] Torture Re: Nietzsche: Free will

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 10 11:44:00 PDT 2007

Actually I think I do know better than you what you think about this, and if you were honest with yourself you'd admit it too. just like all of us on this list. Not about everything, but this in particular.

I also think you are mistaken about the source of your belief that you don't care if the wicked are punished -- it is not that you would not care if you had the power to make the torture stop, but it is because you (and we) are powerless to make it stop. If we could bring the torturers to justice, we would do so gladly. As it is, the wish the have the wicked punished is no more idle than the wish to have the torture stop.

Your rejection of justice is similarly either self-deception or abandonment of political hope. Justice is no more abstract or remote than any of the other values that you regularly invoke, and it is the fuel for the anger and outrage that are necessary for political action. It is powerlessness again that makes you give up on justice -- that is, in effect, resignation to a fate of permanent subordination, a boot in a human face forever.