[lbo-talk] Bush and Foucault

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Sun Jun 10 15:21:51 PDT 2007

^^

> CB: OK , but, you know, my impression is he sort of questions the
> enlightenment from the right, not the left. He seems to champion
> aristocrats
> down through the ages. I don't mean to insult anybody, but everytime I
> read
> him, I say to myself "this guy is a real snob; why do lefties like him ?"
> Honestly, I'm not trying to be a smart ass. Ever since high school (well I
> wasn't thinking "left/right" then ) it always seemed to me he was kind of
> snob. Of course, snobs can be smart; but, hey, lots of people are smart.
> I'm smart :>). I tend to treat smartness as a given. The question is which
> side is your smartness serving.
>
> Perhaps you could point out how his questioning is from the left.

Perhaps the best way to approach Nietzsche is the way that Marx approached the work of Balzac. He argued that Balzac's conservatism actually allowed him a better perspective to look at the hypocrisies of the new age. Similarly, Nietzsche has a savage critique of the triumphalism of the German nation from a very strange standpoint. At the same time, I think that N's critique of the state and of nationalism means that he can't be completely dismissed as reactionary. I think that the primary critique that Foucault takes from N is this critique of progress.

> ^^^^^
> CB: I don't know if you care to give some specfic examples. I don't
> really
> find it necessary to go too far from the Marxist framework to analyze the
> prison system under capitalism. In fact, I think leaving the Marxist
> framework on the state and class struggle, private property, would
> undermine
> an analysis of discipline and punishment, power, under capitalism (
> However,
> I guess Foucault doesn't entirely leave the Marxist framework). Sexuality
> might call for more new thinking, though even there...

I don't think that Foucault would deny the framework you discussed. His argument would be that these structures are not best understood as being framed as repressive. As I pointed out, Foucault's analysis of discipline and the prison thinks through Marx's problematic. I think that the questions that are posed by the Feminist and the GLBT movements had to develop a set of analytical tools for problems that did not fully fall under the rubric of the Marxian problematic. This is also true for African-American thinkers who have expanded the Marxist framework (I am thinking of DuBois' pioneering work) and at times criticizing it (here I am thinking of some of the black nationalists) By the way, on the question of sexuality, I don't think that you can ignore Marx's critique of political economy to understand its dynamics, its just that those tools are far from adequate to understanding it.

> I guess the impression one gets is that Foucauldians seem to think they
> have
> some new fundamental ideas on power. Hey, maybe we could lay out some more
> here beyond the one's Snitgrrrlll put in her post.
>
> ^^^^^
> It's an interview.
>
> ^^^^
> CB; I better dig up my copy.
>
> ^^^^^
>

>> ^^^^
>> CB; How is his concept of sexuality materialist in Marx's senses ? Real
>> question.
>
> It's a material practice used to constitute and legitimate a certain class
> domination. (sex is the bourgeoisie what blood is to the aristocracy)
>
> ^^^^^
> CB: If you care to, I'd like to here your elaboration of this. When you
> say
> "blood" do you mean kinship or literal blood.
This is a reference to kinship. But Foucault uses the term blood to indicate that the aristocracy thought of it as something that went beyond something arbitrary.

robert wood