[lbo-talk] Nietzsche Selection

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 15:15:54 PDT 2007

On 6/8/07, B. <docile_body at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am also wary of _What Nietzsche Really Meant_-type
> stuff. Why isn't there a _What Bertrand Russell Really
> Meant_? Oh yeah, because Russell wrote what he meant.
> I assume Nietzsche did, too. So go to the horse's
> mouth, as well, instead of through 3rd parties.
>
> -B.

It is not necessarily a good assumption.

Or put it this way. Aristotle tried hard to write what he meant. But what was Plato doing? Was he writing what he meant? Was he writing what Socrates meant or Thrasymachus meant? Or was he writing to "turn you around"? Writing to turn you around is not necessarily the same as writing what you mean.

Schopenhauer was writing what he meant. But Nietzsche was writing to turn you around, somehow.