[lbo-talk] Bush and Foucault

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Mon Jun 11 17:11:55 PDT 2007

I really can't say how much I agree with Bitch on this. To put it rhetorically (and therefore in a somewhat unfair manner), is the goal to produce a radically new society or is it to punish wrong doers? Too often, I have seen this kind of wounded attachment become turned inwards on the social movements that I have been a part off. Both Foucault and Deleuze note the ways that solidarity and care get dropped off the agenda for radical groups (they are neither the first nor the last to make this remark). I think that there are ways we can express difference without trying to kill the other (both Foucault and Lorde write about this in radically different contexts, but I think come to similar points....)

The other thing that seems to be missing in the analysis of resentiment is the fact that N. is describing a cultural dominant of capitalist society. N may part ways with me on this, but I tend to see the primary condemnation on the bourgeoisie who become 'slaves without masters' rather than the subaltern classes....

robert wood