[lbo-talk] Is this the end of Tony?

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 19:14:23 PDT 2007

--- BklynMagus <magcomm at ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> > Mawkish and self-pitying sound like pretty strange
>
> descriptors for the show. To each hir own, I guess.
>
> I just find Tony full of self-pity.

No duh, Dr Melfi rips on him for this for years.

And self-pity
> that Chase wants the audience to identify with and
> valorize.

Hardly unambiguously, since Dr. Melfi's position is also "valorized."

> > Maybe it's because I'm part Italian and from
> Joisey.
>
> And I think that is a major aspect of the show's
> appeal:
> people identify with the characters.

Quel horreur. But I'm not Italian, and my Jersey connections barely count (I don't think going to Tigertown really qualifies), and while I had hoods in the fam by ancestry and marriage they were much more like the Once Upon A Time In America lot, poor Jewish kids (and later, not-so-much kids) than Jersey suburbanites. So whatever kind of identification I might have had with the characters, it wasn't that. Actually I thought the show did very well at distancing you from the characters.

But for me, if
> you
> are going to work in a visual medium, then there
> should
> be some facility demonstrated with the tools of that
>
> visual medium. If not, what was the point of
> choosing
> that particular medium in the first place?
>
> Brian

And I guess there's room for disagreement about whether whether Chase demonstrated some (I'd say very great) facility with visual idiom. And I'd pretty damn picky about visuals.

____________________________________________________________________________________ Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more. http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC