[lbo-talk] Is this the end of Tony?

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 12 10:30:18 PDT 2007

Brian wrote:

> Anyway, Bogdanovich speaks the same language as you do when
>talking about film and he finds a great deal that is good about The
>Sopranos and Chase.
>
>Sucking up to the boss maybe?

What, everyone's an idiot to you?

>The quintessential Sopranos viewer. That is what made the show great --
>you never had to watch it to appreciate it. What was best -- the story --
>was easily commuicated in ways other than the methods of television.
>It represents the triumph of plot fetishism over imagery in a visual art.

Of course you have to watch it, it's fucking television. I think the main thing that was great about it is you have a large U.S. viewing audience watching a show that deals with serious themes presented in a smart way. I think plot fetishism oversimplifies what was an interesting cultural phenomenon that leaves me hopeful that other smart stuff will become part of the larger popular culture.

The writing was great and I'm going to do my best to use Sopranos lines in everyday conversation until they're a part of the fabric just like "to be or not to be" used to be.