[lbo-talk] Is this the end of Tony?

Matt lbo4 at beyondzero.net
Tue Jun 12 11:07:00 PDT 2007

On Tue, Jun 12, 2007 at 10:30:18AM -0700, Dennis Claxton wrote:

> Of course you have to watch it, it's fucking television. I think
> the main thing that was great about it is you have a large U.S.
> viewing audience watching a show that deals with serious themes
> presented in a smart way. I think plot fetishism oversimplifies what
> was an interesting cultural phenomenon that leaves me hopeful that
> other smart stuff will become part of the larger popular culture.

Really. Well put.

Bitch mentioned before (to little or no response) how on The L Word they dealt with the Iraq War in a critical way. Sopranos did too. Does this happen on any other TV shows? Grey's Anatomy? CSI?

On one hand on these networks you have shows like Rome and Deadwood that are pretty marginal and eclectic and require a lot of background to understand and enjoy. Even The Wire is this way (the reason sci fi mostly fails is that it is this way, too).

But Sopranos and The L Word are mass consumer products that still hit the same high points in style, writing, and acting and approach things like US foreign policy in a critical way. This is a great thing.

I liked how when AJ was ranting about the Iraq War and Bush and became critical of him Paulie (by far IMNSHO the most psychotic and disturbing of all the characters) reacted with knee-jerk jingoism.

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 yahoo msg: beyondzero123 http://blogdayafternoon.com

Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

-Westley