[lbo-talk] This is the End of Tony

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 12 10:34:15 PDT 2007

Jerry wrote:

>Chase hates and despises Tony Soprano. It is
>in every episode of the show. And it is a big joke that so many people love
>the character. I also thinks he hates the kind of Italian American I grew
>up with.

I think this is a little off. Chase was largely drawing on his own family in the writing. There's a nice long interview in Vanity Fair that's online now where he talks a lot about the themes in the show and also about television vs. movies, which is what he wanted to do before getting into television to pay the bills. Here's an excerpt:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2007/04/sopranos200704?currentPage=2