[lbo-talk] Is this the end of Tony?

Jerry Monaco monacojerry at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 16:48:35 PDT 2007

On 6/12/07, Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu> wrote:

> Doug Henwood wrote:
> > On Jun 12, 2007, at 4:57 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:
> >

> >> The
> >> Dick Van Dyke Show is a great work of visual art?
> >>

> > How about the wacky way that Dick sidestepped the footstool in the
> > opening credits?
> >
> > Doug

O.k., o.k.! You guys can put down "The Dick Van Dyke" show but it really was visually innovative, in its black and white small screen way. They paid a lot of attention to the sight-gags, and, unlike most shows at the time, the pacing of the editing, etc.

And they alternated the sight gag of tripping over or sidestepping the ottoman, so within the same season, sometimes you got it and sometimes you didn't!

And... Don't make fun, of Brian on this! Make fun of me! Brian was just trying to find common ground with me here..... and in his attempt to find common ground he gets this double punch from Doug and Miles. I feel guilty!

Jerry